Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Cry a little

The "glimpse" I had planned for tonight didn't work out, but unlucky for you, I've had a little something on my mind lately. This is in complete contrast with a recent post of mine, but that shouldn't surprise you since I'm pretty much a walking, talking (only if I have to) contradiction.
Source

Anyway, I've been dealing with some difficult issues lately, and if there is anything I am the absolute best at, it is worrying (thanks, Dad). I win at taking something unpleasant or unfortunate and tornadoeing it into a never-ending headache that consumes me. I eat, breathe and sleep anxiety. 

If finding an immediate solution is not an option, there are several healthy ways to relieve apprehension: chocolate, running, prayer, acts of service (focusing on someone besides myself for once), etc. But there is always another temporary yet oddly satisfying option: A big, long, ugly cry.

Source

Maybe it sounds a little sad, a little pathetic, a little pity-party-ish, but sometimes a good, deep cry that brings you to pure exhaustion is just the reboot you need. A quick search on the Google (how old am I?) tells me I am not alone in this. While there are studies and opinions arguing for both sides of the matter, the majority seem to give it the go-ahead. Why? Here are a few reasons I came across:
 

  • It's a cathartic release.
  • It can lower stress and blood pressure and elevate mood by releasing chemicals and toxins that build up in your body from stress.
  • Tears kill bacteria and help us see.

Some articles also mentioned that crying with someone can be more healing than crying alone. For me, I think it depends on the situation. Sometimes I do need to cling onto someone (or some...cat) to feel supported during my minutes or hours of blubbering. Sometimes I feel better alone with an emotional song playing in the background to really set the mood.

Source
Oh, One Tree Hill, you never disappoint.

While its probably not something to make a habit of, crying does not deserve all the negative connotations it's associated with. So next time you're frustrated, angry, scared, upset and just in need of a release, don't think twice about cranking up the saddest or sappiest movie or song you can think of and having yourself a little (or big) cry. Just let those tears flow because you deserve it. In the meantime, I'll be watching The Vow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment